How to Get Rid of Age Spots And Avoid Having More
Although we love our daily dose of ultraviolet rays, these harsh radiations can have an adverse impact on our skin. Age spots are one of the consequences of staying out for long hours. These are small brown spots that appear on the skin which is most exposed to the sun, such as the face, hands, shoulders, etc.
They usually appear as we age and are more common in people above 50 years. Thus, they are known as age spots. However, they are not related to ageing and are a result of sun damage. They become prominent with age and can be treated through a variety of procedures, including laser treatment.
This is the reason why people visit a renowned laser clinic in Melbourne to get rid of these brown spots that affect their appearance. If you too are looking for a solution to this problem, then here is how to get rid of age spots and avoid having more.
How To Treat Age Spots
Age spots are created by the production of melanin in increased concentrations or due to the clumping of melanin after years of sun exposure. People with lighter skin are more prone to developing age spots and also those who have frequently been sunbathing.
These spots are present at the bottom of the epidermis, and thus, the treatment must break into the topmost layer of the skin. The procedures include:
- Laser Therapy - It is one of the best treatments available for the removal of age spots. Laser and intense pulse light provide long-lasting and desirable results by targeting the melanin cells in the epidermis without harming the surrounding skin. Another advantage of this procedure is that it requires only two to three appointments with the laser technician and does not cause any side-effects. Mild inflammation may occur in some people, which disappears within a few hours.
- Microdermabrasion- It is an advanced form of dermabrasion and less severe than the intense procedure. It helps in making the spots lighter by utilising a grinding instrument that exfoliates the upper layer of the skin. However, you need several of these sessions to remove the spots altogether. It can cause flaky skin and redness for a few hours.
- Chemical Peel – Some dermatologists use this technique to get rid of the age spots where a chemical is applied to the skin that removes the upper layer. New skin grows in the place of the chemically treated area and gets rid of the spots. It can also cause temporary inflammation of the skin.
- Cryotherapy – Also known as freezing, the procedure involves the application of liquid nitrogen or a similar freezing agent on the age spots to get rid of the pigment in the skin. It can cause irritation and scarring in some cases.
- Prescription Creams – Your dermatologist can suggest the use of retinol and hydroquinone (a bleaching cream) based creams that help in fading the spots. However, this treatment takes a long time to show results, and you must always wear a sunscreen when you are using prescription creams to keep the sun damage at bay. These prescription creams, however, can cause skin irritation, inflammation and itching.
How To Prevent Age Spots
If you have started noticing the appearance of a few age spots here and there, then it is the right time to prevent them from escalating into a full-blown problem. Take a look at the precautions listed below to avoid having more spots with age.
- Sunscreen – Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or more to reduce the harmful impact of ultra-violet radiations on the skin. It must be water-proof so that it doesn’t get washed away as you sweat. Make sure to apply it to all the parts that are exposed to the sun. It will also prevent the spots from reoccurring if you have got them treated. Dermatologists recommend reapplying sunscreen after every two hours if you are on the beach, swimming or exercising.
- Stay Indoors Between 10 am to 2 pm – Although it is difficult to stay home at all times, you can lessen the impact of sun damage by avoiding venturing out during the scorching hours. Radiations from the sun are the strongest from 10 in the morning to 2 in the afternoon. Thus you must be in the shade during these hours. If you have any work outdoors, then try to complete it in the remaining part of the day and save your skin from age spots.
- Hide Under Clothes – Protection from the sun is the only way to prevent age spots, and it can be effectively achieved by hiding yourself under full-sleeved clothes. Wear pants and covered shoes that do not expose your legs and feet and get a broad-brimmed hat to find some shade for your face. You can use an umbrella and sunglasses for further safety. You can also purchase clothes that have UV protection factor to stay safe from the sunrays.
Everybody desires a flawless skin, and this is the reason behind the growing demand for laser clinics in Melbourne. If you are suffering from age spots or want to prevent them, then keep these treatment procedures and precautions in mind.